TARNARUTSKY (Kremenchug) / ТАРНАРУЦКИЙ, ТАРНОГРУДСКИЙ, ТАРНАРУЦКІЙ (Кременчуг)

Модератор: anno_nin

Ответить
johnshriver

TARNARUTSKY (Kremenchug) / ТАРНАРУЦКИЙ, ТАРНОГРУДСКИЙ, ТАРНАРУЦКІЙ (Кременчуг)

#1 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 00:29

I am seeking information on my Tarnarutsky ancestors from Kremenchug. I am also sharing what information I do have, since I know of the loss of Kremenchug records. I will make one entry in this topic for each family member.

[mod=anno_nin]Translation into Russian required[/mod]

Chaim Shulim [fio]Tarnarutsky[/fio] was born 8 June 1856. His Hebrew name was חַיִּים טארנארוצקע .

Here is the transcription of his Russian birth certificate:

[attachment=2]Chaim Tarnarutsky birth certificate smaller.jpg[/attachment]

29 сентября 1877 года
Свидетельство
Дано сие от кременчугского уездного раввина в том, что в метрической книге о родившихся евреях г. Кременчуга за 1856 год под N93 значится Акт следующего содержания: 1856 года 8 июня у кременчугского мещанина Мордки Абрамовича Тарнорудского и жены его Минди Менделевой родился в г. Кременчуге сын, который, по совершению над ним обряда обрезания, наречен именем "Хаим-Шулим". В чем подписью с приложением казённой печати удостоверяю.
Г. Кременчуг, 29 сентября 1877 года
Кременчугский казённый раввин
Л. Бр...

September 29, 1877
Certificate
This is issued by the Kremenchug district rabbi to confirm entry N93 in the birth register of Jews born in Kremenchug in 1856 stating the following: on June 8, 1856, the Kremenchug town dweller Mordko Abramovich Tarnorudsky and his wife Mindi Mendeleva had a son, who, after the rite of circumcision had been performed on him, was named "Chaim-Shulim". Which I certify with signature and crown seal.
The town of Kremenchug, September 29, 1877
Kremenchug crown rabbi L. Br ...

So his father was Мордки Абрамовича Тарнорудского. My understanding from my translator is that Abramovich is not a patronymic, it is his middle name. So I do not know Mordke's father's name. Mordke probably was dead by 1882, because Chaim's first son born in 1882 is named Mordke.

On 10 February 1882 Chaim married Gittel [fio]Letschensky[/fio]. Their wedding Ketubah:

[attachment=1]Chaim Ketubah smaller.jpg[/attachment]

שטר כתובה (נוסח ספרד)
בששי בשבת אחד ועשרים יום לחדש שבט שנת חמשת אלפים ושש מאות וארבעים ושתים לבריאת עולם למנין שאנו מנין כאן עיר קרמנצ'וק איך מוהר"ר חיים שלום במוהר"ר מרדכי אמר לה להדא בתולתא גיטל דינה בת מוהר"ר חיים הוי לי לאנתו כדת משה וישראל ואנא אפלח ואוקיר ואוזין ואפרנס יתיכי ליכי כהלכות גוברין יהודאין דפלחין ומוקרין וזנין ומפרנסין לנשיהון בקושטא. ויהיבנא ליכי מהר בתוליכי כסף זוזי מאתן דחזי ליכי מדאורייתא. ומזוניכי וכסותיכי וסיפוקיכי ומיעל לותיכי כאורח כל ארעא וצביאת מרת גיטל דינה בתולתא דא והות ליה לאנתו ודא נדוניא בהנעלת ליה מבית אבוה בין בכסף בין בזהב ובין בתכשיטין במאני דלבושא בשימושי דירה ובשימושא דערסא הכל קבל עליו מוהר"ר חיים שלום חתן דנן במאה זקוקים כסף צרוף. וצבי מוהר"ר חיים שלום חתן דנן והוסיף לה מן דיליה ועד מאה זקוקים כסף צרוף אחרים כנגדן סך הכל מאתים זקוקים כסף צרוף וכך אמר מוהר"ר חיים שלום חתן דנן אחריות שטר כתובתא דא ונדוניא דא ותוספתא דא קבילית עלי ועל ירתאי בתראי להתפרע מכל שפר ארג נכסין וקנינין דאית לי תחות כל שמיא, דקנאי ודעתיד אנא למקנא נכסין דאית להון אחריות ודלית להון אחריות כלהון יהון אחראין וערבאין לפרוע מנהון שטר כתובתא דא ונדוניא דן ותוספתא דא מנאי ואפילו מן גלימא דעל כתפאי בחיי ולבתר חיי מן יומא דא ולעלם, ואחריות שטר כתובתא דא ונדוניא דא ותוספתא דא קבל עליו מוהר"ר חיים שלום חתן דנן כחומר כל שטרי כתובות דנהגין בבנות ישראל עפ"י תיקון חז"ל דלא כאסמכתא ודלא כטופסי דשטרי. וקנינא מן מוהר"ר oשלום במוהר"ר מרדכי חתן דנן למרת גיטל דינה בת מוהר"ר חיים בתולתא דא על כל הא דכתוב ומפורש לעיל במנא דכשר למיקניא ביה.
והכל שריר וקיים
נאם: יעקב [??]
נאם: ישראל [??]

On the sixth day of the week, the twenty first day of the month of Shvat, in the year five thousand six hundred and forty-two since Creation of the World (February 10, 1882). As we reckon time here in the town of Kremenchug. the Groom R' Chaim Shalom, son of R' Mordechai, said to the Virgin Gittel Deena, daughter of R' Chaim, "Be my wife according to the statutes of Moses and Israel. And I will work for, esteem, feed and support you as is the custom of Jewish men who work for, esteem, feed and support their wives faithfully. And I will give you and I will provide you with your dowry, sum of 200 zuzim and conjugal rights I am obligated to give you according to the law of the Torah." And food, clothing and necessities. And I will conduct to you all marital obligations as is the custom of married husband and wife. And the Virgin Gittel Deena agreed to become his wife. And this dowry that she brought from her father's house, whether in silver, gold, jewelry, clothing, furnishings or bedding, this Groom Chaim Shalom accepted responsibility for all in the sum of 100 zuzim, and agreed to add to this amount from his own assets the sum of 100 zuzim, for a total of 200 zuzim. The groom Chaim Shalom said: "The obligation of this ketubah, this dowry and this additional sum, I accept upon myself and my heirs after me, to be paid from all the best part of all my property that I now possess or may hereafter acquire, real-estate and possessions. All these finances will be responsible to be accounted for this Marriage Contract and the dowry, plus the additional 100 Sterling Silver I took upon me. From me and even the shirt on my back, shall be mortgaged and leined for the payment of this ketubah, dowry and additional sum, whether during my lifetime or thereafter." The obligation of this ketubah, this dowry and this additional sum, was accepted by R' Chaim Shalom the groom, with the strictness established for ketubot customary for the daughters of Israel, in accordance with the decrees by our sages, of blessed memory. This ketubah is not to be regarded as a formality or as a perfunctory legal form. We have established the acceptance on the part of R' Chaim Shalom, son of R' Mordechai, the Groom, to Mrs. Gittel Deena, daughter of R' Chaim, this Virgin, of this contract. all of which is stated and specified above, with an article fit for that purpose. And all shall be valid and binding.

Witness 1) Yaakov [??]
Witness 2) Israel [??]

Chaim was a tailor in Russia, and a tailor (and real estate investor) in New York City.

Chaim got a passport for himself (as Хаим Мордкович Тарнаруцкій) and his son Yitkhok (Ицхок) and daughter Feyga (Фейга) on 10 November 1905. The passport describes him as a "craft guild worker." They left Russia at Libau on 26 November 1905, arriving in New York City on 30 December 1905.

Chaim died of stomach cancer in Bronx, New York City on 2 August 1928.

His death certificate:

[attachment=0]Haeman Tarnarutsky death certificate smaller.jpg[/attachment]

The death certificate gives his father's name as Mordechai, and his mother's name as Minnie [fio]Baron[/fio]. Those first names agree with the birth certificate transcription. This is my only source for his mother's surname.

The Hebrew inscription on his tombstone is:
פ׳ נ׳ ר׳ חיים ב׳׳ר מרדכי
Here Lies Chaim son of Reb. Mordechai
Последний раз редактировалось johnshriver 30 янв 2021, 02:35, всего редактировалось 4 раза.

johnshriver

TARNARUTSKY (Kremenchug) / ТАРНАРУЦКИЙ/ТАРНАРУЦКІЙ (Кременчу́г)

#2 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 01:03

Mordko Tarnarutsky (Мордко Тарнаруцкій) was born as the first child of Chaim on 7 December 1882. His Hebrew name was Mordechai (מָרְדְּכַי). The transcription of his Russian birth certificate:
Mordko Tarnorutsky birth certificate smaller.jpg
CERTIFICATE.
Certificate given today from the Kremenchug Rabbi, that in the registry of births, marriages, and deaths in 1882, under listing 413 I affirm that the following was written:
That in 1882 on December 7 in Kremenchug Chaim Mordkova Tarnorutsky and Getyl Chaimova [Tarnorutsky] was born a son whose name is to be registered as Mordko.
This is certified by signature and by the laying of the appropriate designated stamp in Kremenchug on the 29th [month] 1893.
Kremenchug Rabbi [signatures]

Here is his Hebrew birth document, probably a receipt that was given when he was registered:
Mordechai Tarnarutsky Hebrew Birth Certificate.jpg
I was informed that fortunately a Son was born to R' Chaim, son of R' Mordechai Tarnarutsky. He was given the Jewish name Mordechai.
Date: 18/XII/1882
Signature: Government Rabbi

I have this document, apparently about induction into the Russian army:
Mordke Tarnarutsky Military Certificate smaller.jpg
My attempt at transcribing this:

СВИѢТЕЛЬСТВО
О ЯВКѢ КЪ ИСПОЛНеНіЮ ВОИНСКОЙ ПОВИННОСТИ.
Тарнаруцкий Мордко Хаиеиовъ …
являлся къ исполненію воинской повинности при призывѢ 1904 г: и
зачисленъ въ ратникн ополченія втооого разряда.
Выдано Кременчугскимъ Уѣзднымъ по воинской повинностн При-
сутствіемъ Ноябрь 23 дня 1904 г. за № 3986
За предсѣамелу присумвім
дѣлопроизводимелъ

Google Translate says:

CERTIFICATE
ABOUT THE APPEAL OF THE EXECUTION OF MILITARY OBLIGATION.
Tarnarutsky Mordke Chaimovich …
Was the execution of military service when conscripted in 1904: and enrolled in the warrior militia of the second category.
Issued by the Kremenchug District Department for military service presence November 23 days 1904 for No. 3986.
For the forerunner, we will ...
For production ...

I am not sure if this indicates he was being drafted, or if he had completed military service. Clarification of this document is one thing I would like to know.

Mordke got a passport for his mother and siblings on 29 March 1906. He is noted as a "burgher" on the passport. They left Russia at Libau on 20 April 1906, arriving at New York City on 18 May 1906, and admitted to the US when his father met them at Ellis Island on 20 May 1906.

Mordke went by the name Morton Turner in New York, and was in the dress manufacturing business.

Mordke died in New York on 15 September 1955. The Hebrew inscription on his tombstone is:
פ׳נ מרדכי ב׳׳ר חיים
Here lies Mordechai son of Chaim
У вас нет необходимых прав для просмотра вложений в этом сообщении.
Последний раз редактировалось johnshriver 30 янв 2021, 02:30, всего редактировалось 3 раза.

johnshriver

#3 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 01:14

The next child of Chaim is Rubin Tarnarutsky (Ривин Тарнаруцкій), Hebrew name Reuben (ראובז), born 4 October 1884. I have no Russian documents on him.

He came to New York in the 1906 trip. He came with his fiancee Bella Podwalny (Бейла Подвальный). They married on 15 January 1910.

He worked as a barber in New York City.

He died in Bronx, New York City 25 October 1957.
Последний раз редактировалось johnshriver 30 янв 2021, 01:35, всего редактировалось 1 раз.

johnshriver

#4 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 01:24

The next child of Chaim is Yitzkhok Tarnarutsky (Ицхок Тарнаруцкій), Hebrew name Itzhak (יִצְחָק), born 20 Jan 1887.

This is his Hebrew birth document:
Itzhak Tarnarutsky Hebrew Birth Certificate.jpg
I was informed that fortunately a Son was born to R' Chaim Shalom, son of R' Mordechai Tarnarutsky. He was given the Jewish name Itzhak.
Date: 18/I/1887

He came to New York in the 1905 trip.

He went by the name Isidore Turner in New York, and was in the dress manufacturing business.

He died in New York 7 January 1945.
Последний раз редактировалось johnshriver 30 янв 2021, 01:35, всего редактировалось 1 раз.

johnshriver

#5 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 01:35

The next child of Chaim is Feyga Tarnarutsky (Фейга Тарнаруцкій), Hebrew name Fiege, born 2 December 1891.

This is her Hebrew birth document:
Fiege Birth Certificate.jpg
The English translation is:

No. 1159
Congratulations
I was Informed that a daughter was born Date: August 27
To R': Chaim
Son of: Mordechai
Tarnarutsky
From his wife: Gittel
Her Jewish Name Is: Fiege

The date cannot be right. Perhaps the translator read it as a Russian calendar month when it should really be a Hebrew calendar month? Or perhaps it is the date of this transcription.

She came to New York in the 1905 trip.

She went by the name Florence Turner in New York, and was known as "Fanny." She ran two Kosher Catering Halls.

She died in Florida 12 September 1982.

johnshriver

#6 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 01:45

The next child of Chaim is my grandmother, Rivka Tarnarutsky (Ривка Тарнаруцкій), Hebrew name Rikva (רִבְקָה), born 11 January 1893.

This is the transcription of her Russian birth certificate:
Rivka Tarnorutsky birth certificate smaller.jpg
English translation:

Kremenchug District Rabbi
February 10, 1908
No. 212

I, the Metropolitan Rabbi, do hereby affirm that, on January 11, 1893, in the town of Kremenchug, a Daughter „Rivka“, was born to father burgher Chaim Mordkovitch Tarnorutsky and Getyl Chaimova [Tarnorutsky] and was written in the appropriate book.

Kremenchug District Rabbi A. A. Freidenberg

[According to viewtopic.php?t=1680&start=20, the rabbi is Абрам Аронович Фрейденберг, Abram Aronovich Freudenberg.]

This is her Hebrew birth document:
Rivka Tarnarutsky Hebrew Birth Certificate.jpg
English Translation:

I was informed that fortunately a Daughter was born to R' Chaim, son of R' Mordechai Tarnarutsky/she was given the Jewish name Rivka.
Date: 18/I/93

She came to New York in the 1906 trip.

She died in Maryland 24 October 1978.

johnshriver

#7 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 01:57

The next child of Chaim is Gershin Tarnarutsky (Гершин Тарнаруцкій), Hebrew name Zvi Hirsch (צְבִי הערש), born 24 February 1895.

This is his Hebrew birth document:
Harry Birth.jpg
[?] הרב מהרי"י יעקל

למול הילד הנולד לר' חיים שלום טארנארוצקע.
ויקרא שמו בישראל צבי הירץ. וייכתב
מספר המעטריקאל
1895 3/3
מקום החתימה [?]

[unidentified] Rabbi Y.Y. Yekel

To circumcise the Newly Born to R. Chaim Shalom Tornoricki. And his Jewish name was given as: Zvi Hertz.
Number in his Birth Certificate is: 1895 3/3.
Signature: [?]

He was in the 1906 trip to New York.

He was known as Harry Turner in New York City. He was also in the dress manufacturing business.

He died in New York state 30 April 1976.

johnshriver

#8 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 02:09

The rest of Chaim's children born in Kremenchug are:

Tevye Tarnarutsky (Тевья/Тевье Тарнаруцкій) 2 Feburary 1898 - 1971, known as Harry Turner in New York City, dress manufacturing business.
Sonya Tarnarutsky (Соня Тарнаруцкій) 2 February 1900 - 27 January 1999, known as Shirley.
Reyza Tarnarutsky (Рейза Тарнаруцкій) 28 August 1902 - 11 October 1918 (of the Flu Epidemic), known as Rose Turner in New York City, Hebrew (Yiddish) Name רויזע
Theodore Tarnarutsky (Теодор Тарнаруцкій) 16 Jul 1904 - 6 February 1971, dress manufacturing business.

They were all in the 1906 trip. I have no Russian documents on them.
Последний раз редактировалось johnshriver 30 янв 2021, 02:31, всего редактировалось 1 раз.

johnshriver

#9 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 02:25

Chaim's brother was Eli or Ilya Tarnarutsky. Different sources have his first name as Эли, Элья, Эля, or Илья. I have letters from him to the family.

This voter list https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... 91-1-2.pdf has him as Илья Мордковичъ Тарноруцкій on line 498 of section 2, with 2500 Rubles worth of property in 1892. Given the matching patronymic with Chaim, it seems likely this is the right person.

His wife might be Rosa by one letter he wrote. There may be daughters Rose and Sonia according to the letters he wrote. He had a son Motl (Мотл).

There are Yad Vashem reports of the murder of Ilya and Motl, giving Ilya's birth as about 1851, Motl's as 1886, and their death in 1941 or 1942.

I have just made contact with a descendant of one of the reporters, and may get more information from that family.

I seek information about Ilya and his family.

I can post the letters if Russian readers want to look at them and comment. I had them translated to English, but not professionally.

johnshriver

TARNARUTSKY (Kremenchug) / ТАРНАРУЦКИЙ/ТАРНАРУЦКІЙ (Кременчуг)

#10 johnshriver » 30 янв 2021, 15:25

Russian names for Chaim and his children come from the passports.

Flower-sun

#11 Flower-sun » 26 мар 2022, 11:11

johnshriver, hello. Ely or Ilya Tarnarutsky from Kremenchyg was a father my grandmamy - Михля Эльевна (в девичестве Тарнарудская). His wife was Rose Leshinskaya. I live in Moscow. I would like to talk to you

johnshriver

#12 johnshriver » 30 мар 2022, 04:37

Flower-sun, I sent you a private message. Please have a look at it.

Is Михля Эльевна a daughter of Eli, or a grand-daughter?

Was Eli's wife Rose Leshinskaya related to Chaim's wife Gittle Letschinsky? (Feel free to use Russian spellings, I understand the Cyrillic alphabet.)

Chaim and Eli also had a cousin Alma who is a mystery. I have pictures, but don't know which side of the family she's from. Only her first name is on the back.

johnshriver

#13 johnshriver » 01 апр 2022, 20:15

A correction. Reyza Tarnarutsky and Theodore Tarnarutsky were born in Ekaterinoslav. The family moved there about 1900, probably for business/financial reasons.

Here is Reisel's birth record in Metric books of the Jews of Ekaterinoslav, State Archives of the Dnipropetrovsk Region, Fund 193, Op. 3, No. 610a, page 51, woman 760:
Reisel Tarnarutsky birth record Ekaterinoslav.png
Женскаго: 760
Кто совершалъ обрядъ обрѣзанія.: Дешятнукіи
Число и мѣслцъ рожденія и обрізанія: Христіанскій: Август 27
Число и мѣслцъ рожденія и обрізанія: Еврейскій: Элеиъ 7
Гдѣ родился.: сио?
Состояніе отца. имена отца и матери.: Кременчугскій мѣщанинъ Хаимъ Мордковъ Тарнаруцкій и Гитля
имя.: Ж. П. Рейзель רייזיל

Female: 760
Who performed the ceremony: Deshytnukyi
Number and month of birth: Christian: August 27, 1902 (Julian) [September 9, 1902 Gregorian]
Number and month of birth: Jewish: 7 Elul 5662
Where was born: ?
Father’s status, father’s and mother’s names: Kremenchug Burger, Chaim Mordkovich Tarnarutsky and Gitlya
Name: female gender Reisel

Here is Theodore-Herzl's birth record in Metric books of the Jews of Ekaterinoslav, State Archives of the Dnipropetrovsk Region, Fund 193, Op. 3, No. 611, page 34, man 629:
Theodore-Herzl birth record Ekaterinoslav.png
Мужескаго.: 629
Кто совершалъ обрядъ обрѣзанія.: Гуревичъ
Число и мѣслцъ рожденія и обрізанія: Христіанскій: Июль 10, обрѣз: Июль 17
Число и мѣслцъ рожденія и обрізанія: Еврейскій: Авъ 11, обрѣз: Авъ 18
Состояніе отца. имена отца и матери.: Кременчугскій мѣщанинъ Хаимъ Мордковъ Тарнаруцкій и Гитля
имя.: М. П. Теодоръ-Герцль טהעאדאר הערצל

Masculine: 629
Who performed the ceremony: Gurevich
Number and month of birth and ceremony: Christian: July 10, 1904 (Julian) [July 23, 1904 Gregorian]
Number and month of birth and ceremony: Jewish: 11 Av 5664
Circumcision: July 17, 18 Av
Father’s status, father’s and mother’s names: Kremenchug Burger, Chaim Mordkovich Tarnarutsky and Gitlya
Name: male gender Theodore-Herzl

Ответить

Вернуться в «My Jewish Ancestry in Russia and USSR»