Boodman/Budman family in Tulchin / БУДМАН (Тульчин)

CynthiaRottenberg
Благодарил (а): 8 раз

#1 Сообщение CynthiaRottenberg » 18 окт 2017, 22:55

My great grandfather was Moses Boodman (1889?-1925 or so), a cantor in Tulchin.
His wife was Pesza/Pessie Zamtchnise (abt 1883-1867) Boodman and his children were Chana/Annie/Hania (1907-1973), Ada/Gyda/Ida (-1982), and Charlie/Sgaja (1916-1995). The different name spellings are from the passports, ship manifests, marriage licenses and other documents I have found.

After Moses was killed in a pogrom, his wife and children immigrated to Montreal. I want to know where Moses was born, which in synagogue(s) he was cantor, and where he is buried. I have not been able to find Boodman or Budman in the dozens of genealogy sites, nor that name in books and lists of people who work in synagogues, churches, religious schools in Imperial Russia, USSR, or Ukraine.

Does anyone here know about the Boodmans from Tulcheen/Tulchin/Tulchyn or his wife's family named Zamtchnise (which was on Pessie's Montreal obituary and may be a very bad transliteration).

I have attached photos of Moses, Chana as a teenager with sidecurls! (my grandmother), and her brother Charlie grown up.

Thank you!
Cynthia
У вас нет необходимых прав для просмотра вложений в этом сообщении.

Дмитрий Широчин
Администратор
Благодарил (а): 73 раза
Контактная информация:

Boodman/Budman family in Tulchin

#2 Сообщение Дмитрий Широчин » 18 окт 2017, 23:05

CynthiaRottenberg писал(а):...his wife's family named Zamtchnise (which was on Pessie's Montreal obituary and may be a very bad transliteration)...
I don't think "Zamtchnise" is a family name. More likely it's a birthplace - Zamchishe, "Замчище"(place where sometimes was a castle, from "Zamok", "Замок").
http://j-roots.info/
"Мои": Гойхман (Рашков), Марголис (Двинск, Вильна), Устрайх (Витебская губерния), Тейтельбаум (Полоцк), Рапопорт (Лепельский уезд, Двинск), Кельман (Кишинев)

CynthiaRottenberg

#3 Сообщение CynthiaRottenberg » 18 окт 2017, 23:29

Thank you! That is very helpful.

MOCKBA
Благодарил (а): 643 раза

#4 Сообщение MOCKBA » 18 окт 2017, 23:40

Budman is widespread in Ukraine. The other unpronouncable name defies any attempts to guess what it could have meant
Гоникберг (Могилев-Подольский, Ушицкий уезд, и повсюду), Прусс, Черницкий(Городок Витебской), Пальман (Витебск), Богин, Рудерман (Минск)

oztech
Благодарил (а): 93 раза

#5 Сообщение oztech » 18 окт 2017, 23:47

CynthiaRottenberg писал(а):Источник цитаты The different name spellings are from the passports, ship manifests, marriage licenses and other documents I have found... I have attached photos
Cynthia, the scanned documents are more informative than photos. Would you like to attach something with surnames and places?
Григорий

CynthiaRottenberg

#6 Сообщение CynthiaRottenberg » 19 окт 2017, 02:34

Good suggestion. Documents. (My Grandpa Rottenberg is included on some of these, but I will start another thread about his family.) I just noticed that one of the ship manifests lists Constantinople as origin . . . Could they have left from there to Liverpool? I had it in my mind that my grandmother and family left on foot and traveled through Poland, not through Turkey. Maybe they said that because the number of immigrants from Ukraine was limited by America or Canada at that point in history.

CynthiaRottenberg

#7 Сообщение CynthiaRottenberg » 19 окт 2017, 02:46

Manifests. :hi:

CynthiaRottenberg

#8 Сообщение CynthiaRottenberg » 20 окт 2017, 07:53

The Budmans are in the top left of both ship papers. It's interesting . . . I just restarted some research on Tulchin, but typing in Podolia instead of Vinnitsia, and it was like a whole world opened up to me. I thought I knew the different names of the towns and counties, etc. through time - but today I found a photo of a document of my Great Aunt Ada's, which I had to read with a magnifying glass (!), and she had written Tulchin, Podolia.

Вернуться в «My Russian Jewish Ancestry»